Welcome!

I'm an attorney, specifically a civil rights/employee rights attorney -- I sue corporations that mistreat their employees. I've been practicing for over 20 years, and in all that time I have never seen the rights of employees under greater attack than they are now. Thus, this blog, which I hope to gear towards both lawyers and non-lawyers alike. If I'm lucky, I can educate and enlighten those who stop by.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Tea Party Republican Introduces Federal Union-Busting Bill

(h/t to Labor Relations Today for bringing this to my attention)

Senator Jim DeMint, the man who single-handedly is trying to pull the Republican party (and the nation) off the cliff of right-wing lunacy, has introduced a union-busting bill in the Senate.  The so-called "National Right to Work Act" (a bit of Orwellian doublespeak) would strip unions of their rights to collect dues from all employees whom they benefit by outlawing union security agreements.  Such "right to work" provisions are already the law in 22 states -- mostly in the south and midwest.  A look at wage information shows that these so-called "right to work" states have lower average wages than states which protect the rights of workers to organize into unions.  Ya think there might be a relationship there?

Thankfully, with the Senate in Democratic hands and a Democratic president, this bill is going nowhere.

1 comment:

  1. I want to give thanks to the Senators that have blocked the budget and have cut my job. One more person to add to the unemployment. Thank you Tea Party. Keep up the hard work to destroy the working class. I am going to go out and spend the money I do not have.
    Get a grip on real life republicans.

    ReplyDelete