Welcome!

I'm an attorney, specifically a civil rights/employee rights attorney -- I sue corporations that mistreat their employees. I've been practicing for over 20 years, and in all that time I have never seen the rights of employees under greater attack than they are now. Thus, this blog, which I hope to gear towards both lawyers and non-lawyers alike. If I'm lucky, I can educate and enlighten those who stop by.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Wisconsin Judge Blocks Union-Busting Law

A state court judge in Wisconsin has blocked Governor Scott Walker's reprehensible union-busting law from taking effect.  According to The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Judge Maryann Sumi of the Dane County Circuit Court issued a temporary restraining order, finding that the legislature most likely violated the state's open meetings law when it rushed through the bill last week.  According to Judge Sumi (a Republican appointee, by the way), "It seems to me the public policy behind effective enforcement of the open meeting law is so strong that it does outweigh the interest, at least at this time, which may exist in favor of sustaining the validity of the (law)."

While this is only a procedural ruling, and does not address the constitutionality of the law, this allows the pro-worker forces in Wisconsin an opportunity to continue the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment