Welcome!

I'm an attorney, specifically a civil rights/employee rights attorney -- I sue corporations that mistreat their employees. I've been practicing for over 20 years, and in all that time I have never seen the rights of employees under greater attack than they are now. Thus, this blog, which I hope to gear towards both lawyers and non-lawyers alike. If I'm lucky, I can educate and enlighten those who stop by.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Connecticut Becomes First State To Require Paid Sick Leave (For Some Workers)

Hallelujah!  My home state, Connecticut, has just passed the first law in the country requiring employers to offer paid sick leave.  Governor Malloy has already said he will sign the bill into law.

The law requires employers to provide one hour of paid sick leave for each 40 hours worked, up to a maximum of 40 hours (5 full days) per year.  Employees are allowed to carry over up to 40 unused hours per year.  Employees can begin using the sick leave after they have worked 680 hours (17 full weeks).  Paid sick leave can be used for the employee's health condition, including treatment or preventive care, or the health condition of a child, parent or spouse.  Special provisions of the law apply to victims of domestic violence.

The law is not perfect.  It does not apply to all employers; only those with 50 or more employees are covered.  In addition, manufacturing companies and nationally chartered nonprofit organizations are exempted from coverage.  The law also does not apply to all employees.  Only hourly workers, not salaried, are covered.  In additions, day laborers, temporary workers, part-time and adjunct faculty at state colleges and independent contractors are excluded.

Still, this is a great start.  Once this law goes into effect, the dire predictions of its opponents will be shown to be nothing but hot air.  At that point, we may be able to expand it to cover salaried workers, smaller employers, manufacturers, etc.  And once that happens, lets hope the good example of Connecticut will lead other states to do the same.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a great post, Anthony! I have always wondered how disposable workers (and I do hope you see the disdain I have for that term) cope with keeping their jobs when faced with a sudden case of food poisoning or a bad flu. I hope this will find a voice in other states.

    ReplyDelete